Tuesday, June 1, 2010

coast guard: papp & respect

| |

Release of this ALCOAST message from Admiral Papp focuses on "respecting our shipmates":

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/index.php/2010/05/respecting-our-shipmates/
Sounds sincere to me..
And how does this play with the "don't ask, don't tell" changes that the Obama admin and Gates are working through?
Seems like a move to overlap with Obama intentions could also be being set up with this..

"SUBJ: SHIPMATES 3: RESPECT OUR SHIPMATES – COMMAND CLIMATE
A. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 260000Z MAY 10/ALCOAST 000/10
1. Shipmates, as we set the watch, we also set the tone and expectation for how we will stand our watch together. As I indicated to you in ref a, respecting our shipmates is one of my four guiding principles. Over the course of my career, I have learned that we must respect one another before we can successfully work together as a team. Missions are accomplished by people. By letting our people know they will be treated fairly and appreciated, that their leaders care about them personally and professionally, we will put ourselves on course to create great command climates and work environments.
2. Great command climates enable our people to thrive. They also result in operational excellence, efficiency, morale and retention, including recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce. It's no coincidence that commands with positive attitudes, pride and enthusiasm are invariably the top performers. The cohesion behind top performing units does not happen by chance. It's a product of mutual respect, communication and attention to the many small, but dynamic interactions of shipmates.
3. My duty as commandant is to provide you with my direction on maintaining positive command climates. In addition to my philosophy contained in this message, I have posted my policy statements on anti-discrimination and anti-harassment, equal opportunity, and diversity. They are available at www.uscg.mil/seniorleadership. These policy statements set forth in further detail my expectation for how we will respect our shipmates. Link to them. Read them. Post them. Live them.
4. I want to make very clear that I will not tolerate any behavior inconsistent with these expectations: nor should you. I value every member of the coast guard family. Each of us is entitled to work in a respectful and professional environment. After all, respecting your shipmates is not only one of my core principles, its part of the Coast Guard's core values of honor, respect and devotion to duty.
5. Each commanding office and officer in charge shall read this message at the next quarters or appropriate muster and shall post these policy statements in prominent locations aboard their command to ensure that my expectations are clear.
7. ADM BOB PAPP, COMMANDANT, SENDS.
8. INTERNET RELEASE AUTHORIZED."

0 comments: